Monday, August 31, 2009

August 29th Recap

On Saturday we had near perfect weather, which was just the beginning of another near perfect Rock-n-Romp.

Friday afternoon we found out that 3 out of 4 of the Hot Pink Paperclips had fallen ill with the flu. Not sure what to do, I called my husband's boss. He had told me about his son's band, the Theoretical Monkeys, a few weeks prior. I decided to see if we might be able to book them last minute. The stars aligned and at 3:15pm, the most darling rockin group of high-school boys you've ever seen hit the stage.



And guess what? They were really talented! And confident! And did I mention darling rockin? I think it is safe to say that everyone was very impressed with the Theoretical Monkeys.

A special shout out to Charlie Trenthem for loaning us his sound equipment! We got a little spoiled at the Shell, so he definitely helped us achieve a much higher level of sound quality.

It didn't take long for the kids to make themselves at home. The Kerrs' playset was bustling, and there was a group of kids-in-the-know who spent a good deal of time in the front yard on the zip line, and even at the kindly neighbor's house on the trampoline. (At one point my five-year-old tracked me down and said he needed "his grown up" to come next door with him.)





Our second band, The Bare Wires, came all the way from San Francisco. They totally had the rock star look (and sound). I was especially impressed with the female drummer. (My husband was excited to buy a vinyl record of theirs and have everyone sign it.) They were a huge hit.



As the music continued, our balloon man showed up and dazzled the kids with his creations. (I was the recipient of a panda corsage.) I don't think the parents liked getting dragged into the balloon line, but it did offer a break from our ever growing beer line! (Don't worry, we'll have two taps at the next show.)





Last up we had the Apostles from Oxford. They were just as rockin' as everyone else. Their high energy performance was a great end to a great show.



You can see the rest of Chip Chockley's pictures here. And please add yours to our Flickr pool.



Thanks to everyone who came out on Saturday! And thanks to our sponsors Yuletide Office Supply and Bilingual Tots!

We hope to see you all at our next show, November 7th, at the Metal Museum!

No comments: